A unique writing style is a valuable asset for any writer and this can ensure that they are able to capture and retain the reader’s attention. You have to understand that for you to develop a uniquely interesting style, it will take time and lots of practice. It is wise to keep in mind that your writing style should not only target your audience but should also be nurtured naturally. Some top tips to help you come up with a great writing style include:
1. You should write often and apply the old adage of “Practice makes perfect” here. When you write more, the feedback you get from the target audience will help you make appropriate changes and improve accordingly. However, you should not worry about pleasing the reader as you write but believe in yourself and you will naturally appeal to like-minded people as yourself.
2. Read widely and this will help you to pick up those writing styles that you enjoy reading and put it into your own writing. Even without knowing what you are doing, reading will influence the techniques used and along the way, you will have developed a certain flair for writing.
3. Correct vocabulary usage and grammar are important to any writing style and it is imperative to ensure that you proofread your articles. New writers usually use simple and short sentences and they begin to grow, the sentences become longer. A less neglected aspect, I think it is important to learn the right usage of commas, question marks, quotation marks, colons and semicolons because using these correctly will build flow in your writing.
4. Always use an informal tone when writing and avoid swear words or inappropriate language that may cause offense to people. Use a conversational tone so that it feels like you are talking to a close friend and not someone whom you do not know. A good idea is to read the article out loud after you are through, to see if it flows. This will help you to make any necessary changes till you get the feel that you are looking for.
5. If you are having a hard time coming up with your own writing style, then a good idea is to learn from experienced and successful writers who put up videos online or read their works. However, you should not copy their works, but simply identify what works for them and make it into your own. Some of the things that you should look at are the subjects they write on, frequency of posts and length of their articles.